ABOUT JANE MULLINS
Dr. Jane M. Mullins is a dementia nurse consultant who has devoted over 30 years to the study and practice of dementia care. Through listening to and supporting people and their families during and following their diagnosis in memory clinics, caring for people who have dementia in hospital and in care homes, she has helped people throughout all of the stages of their condition. When managing a Care Home, she has supported their transition from home to residential care using life stories as a guide to planning their life and care throughout their remaining years. This has included supporting their partners, families and friends. Her particular passions are finding ways to communicate with people who have dementia through music, art and nature as a way to helping them feel well and valued.
Jane has uncovered certain common features that may help caregivers and the people they care for find better ways of coping, you can find these in her book: Finding the Light in Dementia, a Guide for Families, Friends and Caregivers. Her extensive practice experience is backed up by expert knowledge gained from studying for Her PhD; A suitcase full of memories: a sensory ethnography of dementia and keeping up to date as a researcher at the Awen Institute, Swansea University. Here, she explores sensory, creative and intuitive ways of communicating with those living with dementia.
- Mullins, J.M., Tales, A., Musselwhite, C., Rich, N., 2022, “Rekindling couplehood” using a multisensory suitcase of memories: A pilot study of people living with moderate dementia and their partners, Ageing & Society.
- Mullins, Jane M. Book Review: “Wandering the Wards: An Ethnography of Hospital Care and its Consequences for People Living with Dementia.” (2021): 14713012211054370.
- Hopkinson, J.B., King, A., Mullins, J., Young, L., Kumar, S., Hydon, K., Muthukrishnan, S., Elliott, F. and Hopkinson, M., 2021. What happens before, during and after crisis for someone with dementia living at home: A systematic review. Dementia, 20(2), pp.570-612.
- Mullins, J.M., 2021. Book Review: Alison Milne (2020). Mental Health in Later Life: Taking a Lifecourse Approach. Bristol: Policy Press, 360 pp. ISBN 9781447305712 (paperback). International Journal of Ageing and Later Life, 15(1), pp.193-196.
- Burholt, V., Davies, J., Boyd, M., Mullins, J.M., Shoemark, E.Z. and Centre for Ageing, Dementia Research, Expert Review Group on Continence, Dementia, 2020. A research agenda for promoting continence for people living with dementia in the community: Recommendations based on a critical review and expert‐by‐experience opinion. Journal of Clinical Nursing.
- Mullins, J. and Fitch, F., 2019. Diagnosis by request: A self referral memory clinic. Journal of Dementia Care, 8(2), pp.30-31.